Taking a step back from the social media and internet chaos

The computer truly revolutionized the way we live today and most specially the internet did. I remember when I was younger like 6 or 7 years old perhaps, during summer days I usually wake up at around 7am but not to play on an iPad nor an Xbox nor a PlayStation not even a computer, I wake up early because my friends and I are going to play "Patintero", hopscotch, "Teks", "Pogs", Hide and Seek, "Moro-moro", "Bahay-bahayan" and many other games I bet not even 50% of the kids born at the dawn of the new millenium even know exist. We play, we interact, we share and together we laugh. We do not have smart phones then, if we want to talk to our friends its either we meet them in person or we use a simple telephone. Growing up up is real tough in a world full of great inventions you surely want to have. I had my first cellular phone when I was in Grade 5, pretty early for some perhaps, I have no contacts then just maybe 5 or 6 at most its about 10. Today I regret how I might have missed lots of chances because all I cared about was my phone. When I am in public and with no one to talk to I automatically pull out my phone from my pocket like a child afraid of being left by her parents, of being alone. Now I wake up every morning first thing I do is check my phone, then my Twitter, my Facebook, my e-mail, my Tumblr, my Instagram and the list goes on, and I am not proud of it. The social media creates an illusion of many friends when you know that in those 2589 friends you have in Facebook only 457 you know personally, like your neighbor you always see down the street that you never said hello to, the friend of your friend of your friend you met last week, the daughter of you mother's best friend's friend, or that old classmate you have in kindergarten you do not even remember if it wasn't for the class photo she posted as a throwback Thursday photo. You have 633 followers in Instagram where 357 of them followed you only because they want you to follow them back. We are enslaved by these social media platforms we barely realize what in life truly matters. We give in to the new social "norm" that we barely notice that it is like a leech sucking out all the self-esteem we have. 

Why do you post a picture in Facebook or Instagram? Some would say that's their way of expressing themselves, some would say because they love taking pictures but whether you admit it or not, the primary reason you are posting those photos is because you want to gain "Likes" because for most people "Likes" is equated to fame, to feeling of being loved, to social acceptance. Some post pictures to brag, to show they are well off, to show that they are powerful, to show that they are capable, sorry to burst your bubbles fellas but a lot of people beg to disagree.

Why do you want many followers in your social media account? Because having many followers is synonymous to being famous? Nah I don't think so. Because having many followers means many people like you? I disagree I bet more than 50% of those people do not really like you they are just curious about you. You might have many friends in Facebook, a lot of followers in Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr but can you tell me how many "REAL" friends you have? I'm talking about those you constantly meet and talk to in person. Not so many I believe.

I say, take a step back from your social media accounts, take time to talk to real people. I am not proud about how I addicted I am to the internet and in those social media platforms. Now I realize, it doesn't really matter because what you see there are only the things other people are proud of never those things that are ugly and stinky. Sometimes when you browse your news feed you feel like everybody is having the best of their lives unlike you but believe me those people are only going to post what's going right on their lives but their dark realities will always be hidden underneath their smiles.  

You May Also Like

0 Comments